Saturday, March 8, 2008

You're either on the bus, or off the bus

So the new Smash Bros is out, and I think I've been talking about it since August or so. It's fun! For those who don't follow games, it's a game featuring lots of Nintendo characters like Mario and Link and Donkey Kong all competing against each other. And it is only a matter of time before I'll be playing on the internet with friends and family in Missouri. So, it is a good thing I'm ahead on my work. Oh yeah, anyone who gets the game, let me know so we can exchange friend codes.

I finally saw the movie Across the Universe, which is a musical with all Beatles songs. They work in the songs so that they fit what's going on too. There were parts of the movie that were pretty weird, but I liked it. I think it might have been allegorical, but I'm not sure. Like, there was a character that seemed like she was supposed to be like Janis Joplin, and another one like Jimi Hendrix. They weren't them of course, they were just similar. And the main characters might have respresented Paul and Linda, and after that I don't know. There was some cameos too, like Bono singing "I am the Walrus", and Eddie Izzard doing "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite", and Joe Cocker himself sang "Come Together". Anyway, I imagine it's only for people who like the Beatles, and even then, not for the kind of fan that thinks the Beatles should be left alone. I myself like to see reinterpretations of recognized stuff.

It looks as if my entire month of August will be open, so I will probably be home that whole time. No promises, but that's the plan at the moment. Back to games!

7 comments:

pjacobs51 said...

"You're either on the bus, or off the bus" Do you know who said that originally? Ken Keasey said it in the book The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe, one of my favorite books. Ken himself wrote the book One Flew Over the Coo Coos Nest, while high on L.S.D. and working in a mental ward. Also a great movie with Jack Nickolson, an Oscar winner!

I've been wanting to see Across the Universe, but havent gotten around to it yet. Havent seen Cloverfield yet either.

Don't have a Wii yet either >:(

pjacobs51 said...

... and speaking of Beatles, bus's, L.S.D., and reinterpretations of recognized stuff. The Beatles copied Ken Keaseys' infamous "Bus Trip" in a little thing they called "The Magical Mystery Tour".

So . . . are you on the bus, or off the bus?

Alli said...

Across the Universe was pretty cool - got it for Valentine's Day. I thought they did a good job of incorporating the music into the story. Although it was a little weird at times - I think I've figured out what it must be like to be high!

Can't wait to play Brawl. Actually Mykl may have already gotten it on his way to work today, but if he did, it is not here! Probably so I wouldn't play it first haha.

Yay for maybe coming home in August! Any news on the camping trip that might happen this summer? Hopefully you can come, but I have no idea when it is. Or if it is for that matter... August will be prime "pass out" weather at the lake - weeee!

Kelroy said...

Yeah, I read about Mr. Keasey on wikipedia after I saw the movie. The line was actually in the movie and everything, though a character named Dr. Robert said it.

Let me know if you guys get Brawl and we can play online. I will try to go easy. I will definately be able to go camping if it's in August. Otherwise, it will be tricky.

P. Jacobs said...

Brawl Code: 1547-4871-2196

Dee and I just beat the Subspace Emissary...finally! We gave up our entire day to do so, but it was so worth it! Let me know when you want to play. This week is super busy, but I'm sure I can squeeze in a few matches. I'm going to try to get Mykl, Asssah and Dad over to play sometime to play. Maybe we can fit you in there with Wi-fi.

Kelroy said...

Mine is 3265 4711 5027

Wasn't it great! I really want to try co-op with someone.

Alli said...

Mykl and I have Brawl now! We actually got it a couple of days ago but I haven't had the change to get on here and announce it to the world. I will send the friend code when I can (Mykl is playing right now).

The game is fun but I'm having trouble with the controls (I'm so used to the 64 version). I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually. Go Kirby, go!

Happy brawling!