Saturday, September 1, 2007

Mighty Hills Spare no Wheels

Each day involves two 10 mile journies, to and from classes. I start each morning shooting down a hill I've named Monster Mash, after a wizard from Wizard People Dear Readers (Brad Neely's take on Harry Potter). Monster Mash sleeps in late, so he leaves me alone for now. I pedal a very pleasant 8 mile road, which is tame and beautiful and free of traffic negotiation. But guarding the school every day is a hill I call Satan Hill F**k Chute, named for the tattoo the hill gave itself on it's own beating heart. This is an evil hill, a mighty hill. If it were a pokemon, it'd be a legendary. I try to sneak around it to backstab it, but somehow he always knows where I am. Every morning I battle this hill and lose, and go to school. Someday...

Only caring to defeat me once a day, Satan Hill F**k Chute chucks me towards home at the end of the day. But guarding my house, now awake and alert, is Monster Mash. Monster Mash is also a mighty hill, but not a great fighter. I try to ignore him as I go by, but he has great merriment pushing me down and yelling at passerbys that I am a lesser thing. Eventually he gets tired, and I face my last opponent Shonen Bat aka Lil' Slugger. He's a steep parking lot to my apartment complex. I try to get by him without a fight too, but he knocks me down once everyday and runs away laughing. And then, having lost three battles a day, I return home, determined to grow strong enough to defeat these enemies. The large majority of the journey is very pleasant, and the hills are ok as long as I walk some, so I really can't complain.


Digipen orientation happened. This is one of the most interesting community of people I've met. It's a collaboration of nerds, geeks, and artists (there is a huge different between nerds and geeks). Everyone talks about how busy they are at Digipen, but everyone is incredebly thrilled about it. Rarely ever do you see computer scientists so happy. At UMR, while many enjoy what they do, most are an angry, cynical, stressed, and lonely lot who fulfil the minimum of projects so they can get back to Warcraft. From what I understand, Digipen students are not busy fulfilling minimum requirements. To do that would still get an A, and they'd have plenty of free time. They work themselves to the bone putting in the extra hours to perfect their game. Turns out, everyone at this gaming school is very competitive. Who would guess?

1 comment:

pjacobs51 said...

Hey, don't loose your confidence over Satan Hill or Monster Mash. Even the old van could only make those hills by useing a couple of gallons of premium fuel, then it would get mad and say "service engine soon"

By the way I did live in the van next to the Colorado River for a couple of days on the way home. Now it's official, your dad lived in a van down by the river. Aren't your proud of me.