Saturday, September 8, 2007

Digidude

First week of classes went well, for everyone that asked. Classes won't be any worse than UMR's as far as time and difficulty goes, but they will be about fun topics, and also I gotta spend a lot of my free time working on my game project, which is going to rawk some sawks. My into game project class is using XNA Game Studio Express, which is the same thing I played with all summer. HEADSTART FOR KELROY. Unfortunately, due to copyright reasons they won't let my brother make music for my game assignments. This is because we sign a thing that Digipen owns the things the students make, although the students can do whatever they want with them. Since Riley isn't a student, this would not work. I am going to ask a couple more people to see if there are any forms he could fill out if he wanted, since he wants to be a famous video game score composer anyway.

Picture in your mind the feeling that Harry Potter had when he heard the words "You're a wizard Harry!" Only, also imagine that he knew about wizards the whole time and had planned on being one. Anyway, this feeling about sums up my week. I've been finding out that I'm ideal to be a game designer, a career I decided long ago was the only one for me, and have been further affirmed. This probably happened at Harry's first week of Hogwart's too. Also, he's a Leo, and was too destined for great things. Lastly, he was called crazy for telling people that brooms can fly. THEY CAN.

The more I hear about publishers, the more I'd like to be independent. Publishers spend the money to have the game the developers made, so they get a lot of control. In this system, I could go to a Publisher as one of their game designers and say "Hey, I have this great idea for a game!" and they'd reply "Don't make this game, though we own your idea now. Also, you need to make this Barbie game we signed for." Blah to that noise.

5 comments:

pjacobs51 said...

I've been telling you your whole life "Your a wizard Kelroy" now do you believe me?

On another note "publishing" sounds alot like patent law. Haveing some experience in patents there is a little thing called a "Non discloser agreement" that the lawyers or "Publishers" have to sign before you show them anything about your invention, or in your case "game software" This protects you against any infringement by the lawyers or publishers from stealing your ideas. Something you might want to look into before you show anyone anything you happen to be working on.

Good to here Digipen is not going to be as rough as they made it sound on your first visit. They seemed to want to scare everyone away when we went to their open house back in March.

Enjoy !

Dad

P. Jacobs said...

I'd be pleased as punch to write a score for your projects. I was thinking maybe you can find some other student up there to take credit for whatever I wrote. I wouldn't mind, I just want the satisfaction and experience. Of course, if they found out you might get 50 points taken from your house or something like that.

On an oddly similar note, I've recently started a project to try to get published on OCRemix. I just thought it would be a cool challenge to overcome since it's so hard to get a piece on that website these days. It's also nice to get away from writing marching band music for a change. Writing for 4 different bands all summer has weighed down on me a bit. I'll send you my drafts so you and your gaming geekaziods can give me some feedback on it.

Hope you are soaking up all your new edumacation like a big wet dirty sponge. BTW, Dad is supposed to call you about some computer problem he is having. Dee Dee almost fixed it, but she failed and is now kicked out of the family forever. Ohhhh well.

Riley

Kelroy said...

I'd be cool with that, but I'd feel bad if you weren't getting credit. I'm sure there's ways they'd let you transfer copyright or something. Plan B can be that you make secret music for the game though.

I'd be eager to hear your ocremix music. In case you haven't noticed, there's hardly any Earthbound on there.

Alli said...

You know, you guys should probably consider publishing the, "All the kitty cats have come from hell" song! I know I would enjoy playing videogames to that music! I'm kind of surprised that no one has done it yet...

P. Jacobs said...

You know, I think you are on to something here...We could call the game: Kitty au Diable.