Monday, September 3, 2007

Bumbershoot '07

Bumbershoot is the annual 3 day festival of concerts and other things that happens in Seattle on labor day weekend. People smoke pot everywhere. I went on Saturday and saw The Shins, The Moth (a storytelling group including Kimya Dawson), and Gogol Bordello. Other groups seen but were pretty blah were Mae, the Gourds, the Crowded House, and the Common Market. There were also films and performances and stuff going on. At any given time, there were probably 6 bands playing, a couple comedians, a movie or two, and something literary, so you have to plan your day. Sadly, I showed up an hour early to see Micheal Ian Black (At the last minute, Stella turned into Ian Black and someone else), but it was already full when I got there. No dice.

I was expecting to give Best in Show to The Shins because they have my favorite songs, but Gogol Bordello your live show blew my mind. You ignited the fuse to the pirate carnival in my heart and reminded me why I became a gypsy so many years ago. If you have a chance to see them, go, get in the pit, and freak out because SURPRISE YOU'RE A GYPSY NOW. It's a high energy gypsy rock band, picture of some performance below. Keep an eye on this group.


The Shins did have a great live show though. It was a feel-good crowd, and they played a lot of my favorite songs, and even threw some Floyd at us.

5 comments:

Alli said...

Whoa, can you be a gypsy AND a pirate at the same time? That sounds pretty complicated. You'd probably have to get your doctorate and take a bunch of professional development classes to do it.

Bumbershoot sounds pretty fun! Isn't that how you say "umbrella" in British English? By the way, did the storytelling people tell any finger stories?

Kelroy said...

Gypsies and pirates are actually the same exact thing. What people call you depend on what you're doing at the time. And yes, Bumbershoot means umbrella, because supposedly this is the time of year when it starts raining. And yes, there were finger stories.

pjacobs51 said...

Pot smokers everywhere, The Shins playing Pink Floyd, and a band of Gypsys, sounds like good soup. Me envy that soup :(

P. Jacobs said...

Yeah, I want some Pot-Shin-Floyd-Gypsie/Pirate soup, too. Minus the pot and add more gypsies of course. That sounds like you had a blast. I hope you met some cool people on your day of soupyness. Being the nerd looser I am, I look forward to hear about your classes when they start. Peaces.

Mrs. Corbett said...

Does anyone here know how violent pirates really were? I mean the real ones who floated on the sea and jammed with the Stones in Madagascar--those ones. They were really mean.
Gypsies would just kidnap your kids--lots of people didn't really complain about it. In Ireland they're called Travelers. Just so you know.