Friday, August 17, 2007

A Successful Journey

Hello dear readers. I can't post pictures yet because I only have access to wireless internet right now, but they will arrive soon courtesy of my cell phone camera.

In any case, I am in my new home in Issaquah, Washington. We drove a pleasant journey, though the bugs attacked our windshield in Kansas, Montana was on fire, and we competed for hotel rooms with bikers returning home from their annual get-together. We made the trip in 3 days, and even got to hang around Boulder, Colorado again. If you haven't been there, try it out, there's a lot of interesting art shops.

Issaquah is a beautiful hilly forest land, complete with modern business shops. Aside from coffeehouses and smoothiehouses, there are artshops, bikeshops, and farmer's markets full of organic foods (Seattelites love organic foods like Ozarkians love steak). My bike ride to school is absolutely gorgeous with conifers, my kind of trees, and Lake Sammammish, Sam's kind of lake.

My roommate is very nice. She works at least two jobs, and, from what I understand, is a medical masseuse. She will probably have good spine advice if my bike labor is rough on me. She also has two friendly cats. My balcony has an awesome view of Mt. Tiger. Yes, I have a mountain in my backyard.

Most of all, I've been surprised at how different the people are here. I guess it's always hard to imagine how different other peoples' minds can be from my own. Growing up in the Ozarks, I knew the people were different from me, but we all knew how to deal with each other. I also took for granted my friends in Rolla, whom, compared to other people of the world, we actually had very like minds.

I first noticed it when we went shopping for the first time. Strangers talked to us for no reason, so at first we thought they were crazy (though, one of them was, he tried to sell us teen boy slaves, no lie). It turns out, people are a lot less shy around strangers out here. Not particulary polite or anything, they just make comments or conversation for no apparent reason. In the Ozarks, everyone keeps to themselves for the most part, and when words are exchanged with a stranger, they are very polite. Just something I have to get used to I guess.

The world is full of interesting people and now.... now is strange. I will have pictures in the next post, along with more words to exchange. Please leave comments, so I know more people read this blog than my mother, though she is a nice lady.

3 comments:

Brien said...

What I understand of the US is pretty much all grounded in Midwestern life; it's not a very complete view of the country. Glad to hear that the other side of the Meganation has something else to offer.

When does your ninja training start?

Mrs. Corbett said...

Hey, Kelly. I can't wait to hear more about the people there. I always imagined that the people there would be the layed-back, down-to-earth types, but it sounds like I'm going to need to hear more.
BTW, I think you may have your blog set up so that only people with google accounts can leave comments. If you want to do it differently just go to the dashboard, click settings, then hit the comments tab and make appropriate changes under "Who can Comment?" That is, unless you meant to do it this way.
MOM

P. Jacobs said...

Hey Kellroy. Looks like you have yourself a nice set-up. I especially like that you have a mountain in your backyard called Mt. Tiger. You can tell people you go to school riding moutain tigers. Sounds like people up there are a lot like New Yorkers. Although they aren't polite as you say, at least they speek there mind. I think it's good to be able to filter the goods from the crazys without having to see through the fake niceness. Anyways, I also wanted to add that I saw that there is a Penny Archade Expo in Seattle this weekend. You probably already know. Have fun up there and say hi to Dad and Mary! Peaces out.

Riley