Friday, January 18, 2008

ZOMG Trains!

So, every year there is a weeklong conference in Cali called GDC (Game Developer's Conference). Important game people talk about the state of the industry, talk about things they're working on, talk about employment opportunites, share ideas and information, and, most importantly, party. Am I going? Yes I'm going. Normally passes are super-expensive, but I got accepted as a volunteer, which means in exchange for having free full-access I have to put in 20 hours of work. But from what I understand, I can request which places I want to work, so I will be able to go to important talks and stuff that'd I'd want to be at anyway.

Although the talks will be awesome (There's one about Smash Brothers, I will try my best to go there), I think the main point for students is to set up connections and talk to potential employers. A lot of companies look for recruits there, so I have to update my resume. Digipen sets up their Spring Break to be the same week as GDC for this very reason. A bunch of us got a train car to go there and back and also share a hotel, so I think it's going be a great adventure. Smash Bros got delayed again, but at least I don't have to take a weeklong Smash break.

Speaking of geek things, I watched a whole bunch of One Piece this week and am caught up with the series completely. One Piece is an action-comedy about pirates, and in my opinion the only good anime still being made. Most anime = craptacular. One Piece = hilariously exciting. So, the episodes I hammered through had amazing story, and we learned a lot about a character I had previously considered boring. Plus, now there's a cyborg. SUPER! There's a total of about 340 episodes thus far, so I wouldn't recommend starting from the beginning, unless you're hardcore.

Caught up on cartoons, so I can plow through my schoolwork. There's a lot on my plate already, so I gotta get crazy. I may be doing some cel-shading for our new game, we'll see.

GO FIGHT WIN.

5 comments:

eddy jacobs said...

hey sounds like your life is exciting -goodly deal! pat has painted the living room walls light green w/ textured ceiling and that's pretty exciting! i see chi(sp)s dad alot - he's a neat person. eveyone misses you except t.l. take care - 2-momtwomom258@ho

Mrs. Corbett said...

Howdy!
The conference sounds much cooler than the MASL one (Missouri Association of School Librarians) where I will probably volunteer this spring--wanna switch? Don't bother answering.
I bear a message from someone who wants to thank you for setting me up with this awesome laptop/wirelss system! I think everyone should guess the message, though. They just need to fill in the blank. The message is ________.
Glad all is well, and watch out for global warming,
Mom

pjacobs51 said...

So, every year there is a weeklong conference in Amsterdam called CC (Cannibus Cup) Think I'll volunteer if I can get free plane tickets. Might be more exciting than the GDC and the MASL combined.

Dee Dee has exposed her latent super-power. During the last wave of tornadoes last week (we had some 20 to 30 of them in one night) the wind really got crazy, broken limbs were hitting the house, then a very loud sound was made as one of the shutters blew off the house. Riley and I just saw a blur, and Dee Dee was gone! As we entered the basement she was already there, sitting in a chair with flashlight in hand.

ZOMG . . . a thousand different versions of yourself.

P. Jacobs said...

I think that wind that hit the house was some sort of temporial wind that Dee Dee created when she ran faster than the speed of light. She gets scared of her own time paradoxes almost daily



...temporialy.

Mrs. Corbett said...

#1. Does Dee Dee know you guys are talking about her swiftness to take cover? Ron Hearst would be proud. Of course, I can't stand him. He jogs by our house wearing very little and it's horrible to witness.
#2. There's got to be some conference we can all agree to go to. I'm guessing MASL isn't it, since I don't really want to go, and free plane tickets to Amsterdam doesn't seem likely, but you never know. So should we spin the dice for the CC or march on Seattle?