Friday, October 19, 2007

Syler is Playing Spock

I played the new Smash Brothers Brawl! It's not going to be out for 4 monthes, but I played it! They had a playable demo set up at Nintendo, so we shimmied over there as fast as we could. The game... is fantastic.

And I got hit by my first car this week. It was actually pretty fun! And the guy seemed pretty confused when I said so. I had the right-of-way going straight at an interesection and he was turning right and not really looking. The road was wet, so no road rash, and my bike was fine too. Not even a scratch. The guy felt bad, and some other people got out of their cars to yell at him. I guess you shouldn't hit a biker in the bicycle capital of the northwest. In any case, I am going to wear gloves from now on, in case the roads ain't wet.

It has come to my attention that I may be misrepresenting the folk up here. From what I've been saying, they probably seem like a bunch of crazies. No, there's only a handful of crazies, the large majority of people are normal. Normal as in sane though, not as in "exactly like Ozarkians". There is a good variety of people, from different backgrounds. In the Ozarks, it may just be me, but it seems like there is a wall between strangers that is only crossable with politeness. Here, everyone is pretty laid back about anything, and it's ok to talk. It's kind of like everyone knows each other a little bit. Strangers are usually nice to each other, but with authenticity, not just politeness. Not that they're any better than Ozarks people though, Ozarks people are good too. In the Ozarks, people have deeply-rooted values about respect and helping each other out. I guess there's too many kinds of people here for that. Everyone has their own causes, which is good too.

That nonsense aside, anyone thinking about moving up here might consider being a bus driver. Seriously! All they do is drive around and make friends all day. I'm friends with one bus driver, and I've talked to others. Apparently part-time they get full benefits (which are good benefits!) and make like 20 bucks an hour. Full time gets 30 bucks an hour. Sounds fine to me! Plus, they are not only helping people, but probably the environment too! Gah, if only I didn't go to college.

11 comments:

pjacobs51 said...

Getting hit by cars is fun ain't it, you shoud've asked for $20 to buy some gloves.

In the Ozarks, as you well know, there seems to be a church of different denomination on every corner. In Seattle, I noticed no such bewildering phenomena. I was onced asked by an older lady (in Springfield) as to which church I "belonged." I told her I "attended" the church of the open mind. She said she had never heard of it then asked where it was located. I pointed at my head.
The majority of Ozarkians must be like that old lady and "belong" to one of thousands of churches around here. Mental walls are built, and if they haven't seen you at church . . . you're a stranger. and "We don't talk to no strangers 'round here. Quite different than Seattle where they seem to attend "The church of the open mind", and strangers don't exist. And that's why Syler is playing Spock!

Mrs. Corbett said...

Could you fill out a bus driver employment application for Bre?
Thanks.

Mrs. Corbett said...

p.c.j.--
I'm going to have to remember that pointing at my head thing. I'm always trying to think of a good response. I'll bet a little book that was full of responses to the "Where do you go to church?" question would sell quite well.

pjacobs51 said...

mrs. corbett--
That book is an excellent idea! I know quite a few Wiccans, Celts, and native "drum circle" types that I'm sure would have a very interesting answer to that question. Especially since the early "Church Goers" tried to wipe them off the face of the Earth. Do you know a publisher? or should it be an "Indie Book" like Kelly recomends?
I'm sure it would be a hit around here . . . remember when the first Harry Potter book was banned?
. . . (sigh)

P. Jacobs said...

Speaking of an open mind, Dumbledore just came out of the magical closet.

Alli said...

Oh, to live the life of a bus driver! I guess Brak knew what he was talking about when he suggested that his "goil" "get a job driving a school bus."

Dad, do you mean magical closets like in Narnia?

Mom, if you send Bre to Seattle, I'll chip in $10! Haha

Unknown said...

Yes, and they have the rest of the bridge crew chosen as well. I'm not too keen on who they have as "Bones" but the rest looks purdy good. Also, Firefly is indeed worth the investment. Make sure you see the movie too...as Kelly would say, it "Rawks".

As far as that book goes, I would definetly be interested it. It is almost as hard to be Catholic in this are as it is to be anything other than Baptist or AoG. No joking there.

Kelly, I was wondering what you thought about Sonic in SSBB. He seems crazy fast...oh well, I guess I cannot get in on all the trade secrets can I ?

Mykl

Mrs. Corbett said...

Alli,
Riley means that JK Rowling told a little boy that the reason Dumbledore never married was because he is gay.

Mykl--I completely agree with the difficulty of being Catholic in the Ozarks. Hope your birthday was a good one!

Alli said...

Haha I knew what Riley meant. Although I didn't know that J.K. said that. I never really thought about the fact that he never married.

That's pretty cool that she made such an intregal character in the book gay - I bet gay rights activists love that (and, consequently, those suffering from homophobia (sp?) are hating it).


Live long and prosper!

P. Jacobs said...

Especially those that are both afraid of homosexuals AND wizards. There are other homosexual wizards in history we are forgetting about here folks: Wizard of Oz, Merlin, Radagast, Ozzie Smith, and Magus. Yes, they all were wise with the rainbow magic arts.

Kelroy said...

Sonic crosses the screen fast, but his moves aren't necessarily fast, at least not compared to Metaknight(a new uber) and Fox. His spin move is really good, it auto-targets, and he has a super-high third jump, so he should be able to recover from about anything vertically. He will be a decent character.

And yes, there are many gay witches and wizards. They are an easy-going party-loving bunch. In fact, the Salem witch trials weren't about witchcraft at all, people were fine with that. It was originally called "The Salem Lesbian Trials", but some media tycoons put a spin on it to start the Magic Prohibition. Turns out, they just wanted to sell more textiles.