Saturday, July 21, 2007

Prologue

I am a young academic-type from Springfield, MO. For the past few years, I've been getting a bachelors in computer science 100 miles from home in a small town called Rolla. I'm not sure if you've ever gone to an engineering school in a small town before, but, needless to say, the lack of women and culture is heavily replaced with hobbies and drinking. Most people were drunk by noon and already taking their solar cars for joy rides.

However, earlier this year I got accepted into the masters program of a school I've had my eye on since I was a kid, Digipen, located in Redmond, WA. It is a fairly well-known and challenging school specializing in video games. When I look at my schedule, I feel like I'm looking at Hogwart's classes, the titles of which are parodies of a career only viewed as a fantasy. "3D Computer Animation Production I" could just as well be "Care of Magical Creatures". Surely, I'm in for a rad semester.

So I will be moving to the outskirts of Seattle in less than a month. My roommate is a cool young lady 7 or so years older than me. We get along very well, and plus she moved there from out of town a few years ago, so I imagine she will have useful advice. I will be 10 miles from the school, handled on bicycle, which my dad assures me is no big deal.

The plan is to drive up in a rental car around August 10th, if my dad can manage to go. I don't have a back-up plan yet. Until then, I am taking it easy. My brother just got married, and my sister's getting married on the 4th. On the 5th, I will have a going-away/birthday party.

The purpose of this blog is to keep my friends and family updated on my well-being, to let people know about the Seattle area from the point of view of a noob, and to geek talk on my hobbies and interests.

T minus 18 days to Rawk O'Clawk.

No comments: